Skip to main content

The Science of Microfiber Technology

As you know, I have recently fallen in love with microfiber cloths. The following information is a little about the science behind microfiber technology.

Microfiber consists of very fine threads of polyester and polyamide (nylon) that combine to form a single thread. One Microfiber is 100 times thinner than a single strand of human hair. When they are woven together, the Microfibers create a surface area 40 times greater than that of a regular fiber. Due to this expanded surface area, and to the capillary action of the fine threads, Microfiber Cloth has dramatically enhanced absorbing power. Microfiber is traditionally defined as a fiber with a denier of less than one. Denier is a measure of the thinness of a fiber and is the weight in grams of a continuous fiber of 9,000 meters.

Due to its incredibly thin structure, Microfiber is able to penetrate the finest microscopic particles of dirt and grease on any surface. Split Microfiber, as it is more specifically described, possesses numerous wedges rather than the rounded threads found in ordinary cloth. This wedge structure is what provides the superior penetration of grease and oil verses that of common fabrics. In addition, the rounded fibers on most cloths only push the dirt along the surface, whereas the wedge-shaped Microfibers grab the particles of grime and pull them into the dense internal structure.Microfiber has two polymers: polyester and polyamide. Polyester is lyophillic, or has an affinity to oil, so that oil and grease adhere directly to the fibers. Polyamide is hydrophilic, which means it has an affinity to water. As a result, any type of dirt is very quickly and completed removed with Microfiber, leaving a sparkling-clean, streak-free surface. Microfiber cleans any surface without streaking, smearing, or scratching. Ordinary towels move or push dirt and dust from one place to another.

Microfiber actually lifts or scoops the dirt and stores the dirt particles in the towel, until it is washed. In addition, Microfiber can absorb up to seven times its weight in fluids. Microfiber cloths are also extremely durable. They can be washed up to 500 times and still maintain their effectiveness: this makes it an exceptionally cost effective product.


Additionally, do not wash microfiber cloth in the same wash as lint-producing fabrics, such as cotton terry towels. Microfiber dries in less time than cotton. Be careful not to use fabric softener or bleach, and do not iron. Use of harsh chemicals such as bleach can reduce the effectiveness and life of the cloth. To remove buildup of dirt particles, however, frequent washings are recommended.

When cleaning skin surfaces with microfiber cloth, gently wet your skin before wiping. Microfiber cloth will not scratch but it may pick up minute particles that can scratch. Therefore, it is recommended that harsh exfoliating preparations not be used with the microfiber cloth nor should the cloth be used on sensitive areas such as the genitals and eye areas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm A "Green" Diva

This post is probably TMI about me... but health and wellness are things I am passionate about from head to toe, inside and out-- to include menstrual health. Any of you heard of The DivaCup? I use to sell it at my online store. I'm now out of stock. The other day I got to thinking how long it has been since I first started using a menstrual cup in lieu of tampons. It's been about 4 years now at least. I'm sure it was either shortly before or after I got Sisterlocks Either way... it too is a decision I don't regret making much like my decision to get Sisterlocks. I had been a tampon user since a teen and had become increasingly concerned about toxic shock syndrome. Not because I had ever experienced any symptoms but I just got to wonderin' were there any OTHER options to tampons and pads. Oh the wonder of the Internet... I got to Googlin' up some stuff and lo and behold... alternatives existed and had existed for years. You may be amazed as I was that there ...

Pipe Cleaner, Spoolies, and Wrap-A-Loc Tool Sisterlocks Spiral Curls

Here are my results from using pipe cleaners, Spoolies (hair spools) and the Wrap-A-Loc tool . I only use black in case of pipe cleaner shedding. Of course, to avoid shedding issues and snagging from the inexpensive pipe cleaner, I do recommend UPGRADING to the Wrap-A-Loc Tool. (Times got a lil' tight in MY household financially so I haven't yet purchased the longer Wrap-A-Loc Tool that WOULD accommodate my new hair length. Ya gotta do what you gotta do to get stuff done, ya know... ) Click play button to see more pics. Nowadays, I only use my Spoolies and Wrap-A-Loc tools for a single strand of loc that I may have missed; but only because the amount of hair these particular size tools hold have become limited since I have more length AND thickness per loc. I just let these curls hang all day. I never broke him up at all. I really liked the look! LASHES: Almay One Coat Nourishing Mascara Thickening SKIN: Fruit of the Earth Vitamin E Moisturizing Gel and Giovanni Organic Body C...

Lacefront Wig+Infant Child = FOOLISHNESS

Isn't she just a human baby doll... precious in all her ways?!?! Can you believe that the mom who did this to her child is quoted as saying, “It’s never too early for my baby to start looking glamorous like Beyonce!” I pray this was just a joke... poor lil baby. I read about this story here It just ain't right!!