Skip to main content

Do Curlformers Work On Sisterlocks?

 
I've been wonderin' about this... so I gave it a try!
 
My results were DECENT...

NOTE: the curl on your right was my first attempt. This curl didn't take as well, but I got smart about how to improve my technique for my second curl on your left. It's REALLY pretty, isn't it!

 
Posted by Picasa
In my humble opinion, Curlformers ARE NOT PRACTICAL for Sisterlocks!

#1) To form a beautiful flat spiral curl created with Curlformers on Sisterlocks, very few locs must be "threaded" thru each Curlformer. At $12.99 for a pack of 8 Curlformers and $4 for the hook required to thread your hair into the Curlformer... can u say, "EXPENSIVE!"


My suggestion:
stick with creating beautiful spiral curls with your Sisterlocks using pipe cleaners (my personal inexpensive & most effective favorite), the Wrap-A-Loc tool, LocLoops, SoftSpikes, sponge rollers, flex/perm rods and the like.

That being said however, if money is no object and you've got the time to feed the Curlformer onto the hook, place a small section of your locs in the hook, then withdraw the hook; dry your hair or let it air dry, then remove the Curlformer. You will have a perfect spiral curl!

Curlformers do indeed work... even on Sisterlocks!

Comments

SisterlocksMD said…
How do you get the curlformers look with soft spikes?
DrWaddell said…
SisterlocksMD visit http://www.softspikecurlers.com/about.htm for the step-by-step instructions. I am NOT as proficent with my spiral curl creation using SoftSpikes or LocLoops but I trust that it is all in my lack of technique.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm A "Green" Diva

This post is probably TMI about me... but health and wellness are things I am passionate about from head to toe, inside and out-- to include menstrual health. Any of you heard of The DivaCup? I use to sell it at my online store. I'm now out of stock. The other day I got to thinking how long it has been since I first started using a menstrual cup in lieu of tampons. It's been about 4 years now at least. I'm sure it was either shortly before or after I got Sisterlocks Either way... it too is a decision I don't regret making much like my decision to get Sisterlocks. I had been a tampon user since a teen and had become increasingly concerned about toxic shock syndrome. Not because I had ever experienced any symptoms but I just got to wonderin' were there any OTHER options to tampons and pads. Oh the wonder of the Internet... I got to Googlin' up some stuff and lo and behold... alternatives existed and had existed for years. You may be amazed as I was that there ...

Pipe Cleaner, Spoolies, and Wrap-A-Loc Tool Sisterlocks Spiral Curls

Here are my results from using pipe cleaners, Spoolies (hair spools) and the Wrap-A-Loc tool . I only use black in case of pipe cleaner shedding. Of course, to avoid shedding issues and snagging from the inexpensive pipe cleaner, I do recommend UPGRADING to the Wrap-A-Loc Tool. (Times got a lil' tight in MY household financially so I haven't yet purchased the longer Wrap-A-Loc Tool that WOULD accommodate my new hair length. Ya gotta do what you gotta do to get stuff done, ya know... ) Click play button to see more pics. Nowadays, I only use my Spoolies and Wrap-A-Loc tools for a single strand of loc that I may have missed; but only because the amount of hair these particular size tools hold have become limited since I have more length AND thickness per loc. I just let these curls hang all day. I never broke him up at all. I really liked the look! LASHES: Almay One Coat Nourishing Mascara Thickening SKIN: Fruit of the Earth Vitamin E Moisturizing Gel and Giovanni Organic Body C...

The New Me Behind ESandB.com

Maybe I should have reintroduced myself prior to my Sisterlocks Haircut Followup post ... since I haven't blogged for over a year at ESandB.com with any regularity. Of course, my time had been directed towards completing my doctoral studies... Now, I have PhinisheD STRONG-- graduated December 2015! * TECH TIP: Fun app used here are MomentCam and Eboticon... LOVE 'EM! Dr. 3girlsmomma  / NappNine, Ph.D. is in the house!! Instructional Technology is my expertise... If ever you need personalized support with integrating technology to realize transformative teaching and learning experiences or improved productivity leveraging technology for yourself or others... the Doctor is IN theoretically...