Skip to main content

Time Magazine Covers Our Jackson/Mayes Family Reunion

The weekend of July 7th and 8th in Michigan brought beautiful summer temps that were not too hot or humid, but JUST RIGHT...God truly smiled upon us last weekend. After 2 years of preparation (not to mention the LAST MINUTE CHANGES...), the Jackson/Mayes 5th Family Reunion was great a success! The Jackson/Mayes Detroit Experience was big fun and new relationships were forged.

Family members joined the Michigan Host Family from Georgia, Florida, New York, and Colorado. There were so many surprises!!
Who knew so many of our family members of every age could sing so well!! Move over American Idol...WE ROCK!! Our family sung unique renditions of the Motown Classics and our kids sang very spirited tracks from Disney's High School Musical kareoke CD.
The surprise appearance of a certain family member who had been so instrumental in jumpstarting the Michigan host family's planning efforts for this year's events after it was confirmed that she would not attend, pleased us beyond measure.

Romain Blanquart, Time Magazine photographer, was like family for the entire weekend's festivities as the Jackson/Mayes Family Reunion was chosen through the Detroit Visitor's Bureau Convention as the family reunion to be covered from Michigan. Time Magazine will feature a story-- some time this year-- about the family reunion tradition among African-Americans. Just like the prayer for wonderful weather was indeed answered for our reunion dates, the family is now praying to actually make the final cut and be featured in Time Magazine. Join us in prayer on this one...would you??!?!

Special thanks to Sheila Smith of Southfield Hilton--not withstanding the shuttle incident, Shawn Jones Kitchen and Bakery--ample supply, but kick-up the favor a notch--BAM!, Gerald Butler--your kareoke machine was magical, the entire Host famiy--AWESOME TEAMWORK, and each a every JACKSON/MAYES family member--we couldn't have done it WITHOUT YOU!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Length to Short Bob Sisterlocks Hairstyle

Well, it has been about 2 years since my last post... (seems I'm mostly on my personal Facebook page and Google+ not to mention working towards completing my doctoral degree expected 2015 WhoopWhoop... but, I digress...) Here's what up... As the title suggests, I have gotten my length of 9 years cut into an Angled Bob. Now, while I had envisioned my Bob having a definite wedge from the side view... I guess my hair is just to fine to REALLY STACK HIGH naturally. That being said I do like my cut, but I was tickled by it because truly 'all things old become new again'. What I mean is that I HAD a permed Bob with a very short cut nape of my neck upon having my Sisterlocks installed back in 2005...and looking at my hair in 2014 it seems that I have started where I had come back then! (See the pic) Of course, THIS TIME the hair on the top of my head is chemical-free!!  This is ME with all my daughters...we all rock natural hair. My two SL'd daughters-- 2girls

Avoid Fat Sisterlocks Ends

"I want Sisterlocks like yours... I hate my fat Sisterlock ends!"   This typically happens to Sisterlock'd ends of hair with a thick soft wavy texture. After it occurs, the only remedy I have learned of to date is to CUT OFF THE OFFENDING ENDS. To avoid or control the normal swelling expected on your journey to loc maturity-- particularly, of the thick soft wavy hair type, follow the next set of rules: 1. BAND YOUR ENDS EVERY TIME YOU WASH YOUR HAIR. You may need to do so longer than the regularly prescribed time period until YOUR particular hair type locks. 2. DON'T wet, spritz or spray your ends with anything (Sisterlocks Moisture Treatment product included) unless they are banded. 3. When you shower, at the very least-- WEAR your shower caps my loc'd thick soft and wavy sistahs! Natural Journeys family, please share your fat loc'd hair end avoidance tips!

Just kidding... Lottabody DOES Work on MY Sisterlocks!

Hmmm, well, I guess I figured out  my Lottabody to Water ratio...  I sure needed to because as you can you see, I have a half bottle of the stuff yet to go... and this large bottle WILL LIKELY last me for the next 9 years... lol!