Skip to main content

The Science of Microfiber Technology

As you know, I have recently fallen in love with microfiber cloths. The following information is a little about the science behind microfiber technology.

Microfiber consists of very fine threads of polyester and polyamide (nylon) that combine to form a single thread. One Microfiber is 100 times thinner than a single strand of human hair. When they are woven together, the Microfibers create a surface area 40 times greater than that of a regular fiber. Due to this expanded surface area, and to the capillary action of the fine threads, Microfiber Cloth has dramatically enhanced absorbing power. Microfiber is traditionally defined as a fiber with a denier of less than one. Denier is a measure of the thinness of a fiber and is the weight in grams of a continuous fiber of 9,000 meters.

Due to its incredibly thin structure, Microfiber is able to penetrate the finest microscopic particles of dirt and grease on any surface. Split Microfiber, as it is more specifically described, possesses numerous wedges rather than the rounded threads found in ordinary cloth. This wedge structure is what provides the superior penetration of grease and oil verses that of common fabrics. In addition, the rounded fibers on most cloths only push the dirt along the surface, whereas the wedge-shaped Microfibers grab the particles of grime and pull them into the dense internal structure.Microfiber has two polymers: polyester and polyamide. Polyester is lyophillic, or has an affinity to oil, so that oil and grease adhere directly to the fibers. Polyamide is hydrophilic, which means it has an affinity to water. As a result, any type of dirt is very quickly and completed removed with Microfiber, leaving a sparkling-clean, streak-free surface. Microfiber cleans any surface without streaking, smearing, or scratching. Ordinary towels move or push dirt and dust from one place to another.

Microfiber actually lifts or scoops the dirt and stores the dirt particles in the towel, until it is washed. In addition, Microfiber can absorb up to seven times its weight in fluids. Microfiber cloths are also extremely durable. They can be washed up to 500 times and still maintain their effectiveness: this makes it an exceptionally cost effective product.


Additionally, do not wash microfiber cloth in the same wash as lint-producing fabrics, such as cotton terry towels. Microfiber dries in less time than cotton. Be careful not to use fabric softener or bleach, and do not iron. Use of harsh chemicals such as bleach can reduce the effectiveness and life of the cloth. To remove buildup of dirt particles, however, frequent washings are recommended.

When cleaning skin surfaces with microfiber cloth, gently wet your skin before wiping. Microfiber cloth will not scratch but it may pick up minute particles that can scratch. Therefore, it is recommended that harsh exfoliating preparations not be used with the microfiber cloth nor should the cloth be used on sensitive areas such as the genitals and eye areas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Length to Short Bob Sisterlocks Hairstyle

Well, it has been about 2 years since my last post... (seems I'm mostly on my personal Facebook page and Google+ not to mention working towards completing my doctoral degree expected 2015 WhoopWhoop... but, I digress...) Here's what up... As the title suggests, I have gotten my length of 9 years cut into an Angled Bob. Now, while I had envisioned my Bob having a definite wedge from the side view... I guess my hair is just to fine to REALLY STACK HIGH naturally. That being said I do like my cut, but I was tickled by it because truly 'all things old become new again'. What I mean is that I HAD a permed Bob with a very short cut nape of my neck upon having my Sisterlocks installed back in 2005...and looking at my hair in 2014 it seems that I have started where I had come back then! (See the pic) Of course, THIS TIME the hair on the top of my head is chemical-free!!  This is ME with all my daughters...we all rock natural hair. My two SL'd daughters-- 2girls

Avoid Fat Sisterlocks Ends

"I want Sisterlocks like yours... I hate my fat Sisterlock ends!"   This typically happens to Sisterlock'd ends of hair with a thick soft wavy texture. After it occurs, the only remedy I have learned of to date is to CUT OFF THE OFFENDING ENDS. To avoid or control the normal swelling expected on your journey to loc maturity-- particularly, of the thick soft wavy hair type, follow the next set of rules: 1. BAND YOUR ENDS EVERY TIME YOU WASH YOUR HAIR. You may need to do so longer than the regularly prescribed time period until YOUR particular hair type locks. 2. DON'T wet, spritz or spray your ends with anything (Sisterlocks Moisture Treatment product included) unless they are banded. 3. When you shower, at the very least-- WEAR your shower caps my loc'd thick soft and wavy sistahs! Natural Journeys family, please share your fat loc'd hair end avoidance tips!

Just kidding... Lottabody DOES Work on MY Sisterlocks!

Hmmm, well, I guess I figured out  my Lottabody to Water ratio...  I sure needed to because as you can you see, I have a half bottle of the stuff yet to go... and this large bottle WILL LIKELY last me for the next 9 years... lol!