Skip to main content

Love the Hair You Were Born With


Reprint of article by Karen Marie Shelton in Hairboutique.com, July 1, 2006

Introduction
It’s human nature to want what we don’t have. The results of not getting what we want from our hair may result in a blow to our self-esteem.

It certainly doesn’t help that most celebrities seem to always look like they’re having a great hair day. Never mind that they probably just spent hours being brushed, combed, sprayed, twisted and fussed over by an army of colorists, stylists and other beauty minions.

If you ever wondered how to escape the agonies of bad hair days followed by endless self-flogging over unmanageable locks you are in luck. Adopt the following simple strategies and you will find instant relief for your hair woes.

Accentuate The Positive
Start your new hair love program by first taking a good look at yourself in the mirror. Come on. There are lots of things about your hair that you like. Concentrate on the hair parts that you enjoy: great color that brings out your eyes and skin, and fabulous curl and volume that just won’t quit!

Focus on all the great parts of your hair and don’t get caught up in the attributes that you don’t like. Make a list and tape it somewhere close to your daily hair care station. Whenever you get discouraged or start beating up your hair stop and read your list to reinforce your awareness of the great hair parts that you truly possess.

Silence Your Critics
You and only you are required to wear your hair for your life events. Well meaning spouses, family, friends and acquaintances can and will provide their opinions about your hair. When external critics volunteer their unsolicited opinions keep in mind that they don’t own your hair. You do. Unless someone tells you that your hair is on fire, smile politely at their comments and then ignore them.

It is helpful to remember that when you are true to your own likes and needs you are truly expressing who you are to the world. This is true of the way you choose to wear your hair, the shoes you select or the car that you drive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Length to Short Bob Sisterlocks Hairstyle

Well, it has been about 2 years since my last post... (seems I'm mostly on my personal Facebook page and Google+ not to mention working towards completing my doctoral degree expected 2015 WhoopWhoop... but, I digress...) Here's what up... As the title suggests, I have gotten my length of 9 years cut into an Angled Bob. Now, while I had envisioned my Bob having a definite wedge from the side view... I guess my hair is just to fine to REALLY STACK HIGH naturally. That being said I do like my cut, but I was tickled by it because truly 'all things old become new again'. What I mean is that I HAD a permed Bob with a very short cut nape of my neck upon having my Sisterlocks installed back in 2005...and looking at my hair in 2014 it seems that I have started where I had come back then! (See the pic) Of course, THIS TIME the hair on the top of my head is chemical-free!!  This is ME with all my daughters...we all rock natural hair. My two SL'd daughters-- 2girls

Avoid Fat Sisterlocks Ends

"I want Sisterlocks like yours... I hate my fat Sisterlock ends!"   This typically happens to Sisterlock'd ends of hair with a thick soft wavy texture. After it occurs, the only remedy I have learned of to date is to CUT OFF THE OFFENDING ENDS. To avoid or control the normal swelling expected on your journey to loc maturity-- particularly, of the thick soft wavy hair type, follow the next set of rules: 1. BAND YOUR ENDS EVERY TIME YOU WASH YOUR HAIR. You may need to do so longer than the regularly prescribed time period until YOUR particular hair type locks. 2. DON'T wet, spritz or spray your ends with anything (Sisterlocks Moisture Treatment product included) unless they are banded. 3. When you shower, at the very least-- WEAR your shower caps my loc'd thick soft and wavy sistahs! Natural Journeys family, please share your fat loc'd hair end avoidance tips!

Just kidding... Lottabody DOES Work on MY Sisterlocks!

Hmmm, well, I guess I figured out  my Lottabody to Water ratio...  I sure needed to because as you can you see, I have a half bottle of the stuff yet to go... and this large bottle WILL LIKELY last me for the next 9 years... lol!