Skip to main content

Coloring Sisterlocks Cognac-ish

I'm glad our WATER BILL was paid... I colored my Sisterlocks! Which is a hellava RINSING process with Sisterlocks... WHEW!  I have used semi-permanent color or rinses before, but never a permanent color like this one. Just tryin' to make sure I rinsed all product out of my SLs, I MUST have emptied our hot water tank for sure!  :-)


As much as I LOVE sistahs who really go TRUE golden, auburn or copper with their locs, I'm still not that bold... YET!  If I EVER DO IT, I'll probably get it done by a professional.What I really like in hair coloring Sisterlocks not withstanding is that TRUE tortoise shell 3-tone effect. That's a GOOD LOOK!! I think that requires some bleaching/highlighting  that I'm NOT particularly comfortable with... at least, not as this time. It would seem to me that a sistah would be tempted to color much more often than perhaps she might have originally expected to maintain the effect.  Anywhoooo... not yet for ME is all I can say...


After reading other Sisterlocks blogs I learned that folks were using a number of products to color their Sisterlocks ranging from henna, Loreal, Creme of Nature, Naturtint to Clairol, et al. I decided to go with the Naturtint brand.  Naturtint boasts being "the first 100% permanent hair colorant without ammonia formulated with active vegetable ingredients." Plus, as permanent hair coloring goes Naturtint claims to be "ultra-mild." It came highly recommended from those in the blogosphere.
What I was going for was a cognac color that could primarily be seen in the sunlight... I mixed Golden Chestnut and Light Copper Chestnut.  What I got was pretty much what I was looking for... I biggest tell-tell sign is that my greying hairline is now reddish-copper, but I trust that will pass with new growth.
In a few days I'll get a fresh retightening, can't wait to see how nice my Cognac (-ish) colored Sisterlocks will look then once I get to stylin' them and never failing to condition them now that I've entered the PERMANENT COLOR ZONE. I should have been conditioning it all along, huh?!  I tend to only use a conditioner from time to time. Chemical is chemical is chemical, right?! Rinses, semi-permanent or permanent coloring in the end is probably all the same when you're supposed to be natural and chemical-free.. It ALL requires additional hair care being "color treated"... I'll be sure to use a homemade conditioning spritz daily and conditioner when I wash my Sisterlocks with more regularity now...


Any suggestions for conditioners for color treated Sisterlocks besides the obvious choice-- the Sisterlocks product line?!?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Contact Phyllis Johnson/Video Locktician for great alternatives to Sisterlocks products. Also, checck out NubianKinks.com


Barbara

Popular posts from this blog

Length to Short Bob Sisterlocks Hairstyle

Well, it has been about 2 years since my last post... (seems I'm mostly on my personal Facebook page and Google+ not to mention working towards completing my doctoral degree expected 2015 WhoopWhoop... but, I digress...) Here's what up... As the title suggests, I have gotten my length of 9 years cut into an Angled Bob. Now, while I had envisioned my Bob having a definite wedge from the side view... I guess my hair is just to fine to REALLY STACK HIGH naturally. That being said I do like my cut, but I was tickled by it because truly 'all things old become new again'. What I mean is that I HAD a permed Bob with a very short cut nape of my neck upon having my Sisterlocks installed back in 2005...and looking at my hair in 2014 it seems that I have started where I had come back then! (See the pic) Of course, THIS TIME the hair on the top of my head is chemical-free!!  This is ME with all my daughters...we all rock natural hair. My two SL'd daughters-- 2girls

Avoid Fat Sisterlocks Ends

"I want Sisterlocks like yours... I hate my fat Sisterlock ends!"   This typically happens to Sisterlock'd ends of hair with a thick soft wavy texture. After it occurs, the only remedy I have learned of to date is to CUT OFF THE OFFENDING ENDS. To avoid or control the normal swelling expected on your journey to loc maturity-- particularly, of the thick soft wavy hair type, follow the next set of rules: 1. BAND YOUR ENDS EVERY TIME YOU WASH YOUR HAIR. You may need to do so longer than the regularly prescribed time period until YOUR particular hair type locks. 2. DON'T wet, spritz or spray your ends with anything (Sisterlocks Moisture Treatment product included) unless they are banded. 3. When you shower, at the very least-- WEAR your shower caps my loc'd thick soft and wavy sistahs! Natural Journeys family, please share your fat loc'd hair end avoidance tips!

Just kidding... Lottabody DOES Work on MY Sisterlocks!

Hmmm, well, I guess I figured out  my Lottabody to Water ratio...  I sure needed to because as you can you see, I have a half bottle of the stuff yet to go... and this large bottle WILL LIKELY last me for the next 9 years... lol!